Monday, September 07, 2009

Moody Misti

It is really wild sometimes to remember that we live at the base of an active volcano. Misti is ever present high above the city. From certain locations you can see how the city is slowly climbing up his (volcanoes are masculine) sandy slopes. They weather here is beautiful and sunny almost everyday. This the view we usually have of El Misti.

(This picture was taken from our VW kombi, while it was actually working, when we were crossing the Puente de Fierro - designed by Gustave Eiffel, it was the longest bridge in the world in 1882.)



Sometimes it actually gets cloudy in Arequipa. It is so rare though, that most people love it and are in a good mood when it is cloudy.






In July, while my mom was visiting, we had a freak snow storm and we could watch from our roof as the clouds lifted off Misti to reveal the blanket they left behind.




I used to call it the "really cool cloud" or something like that until I was instructed by pilot-man/my husband that it is called a 'lenticular cloud' and it is extremely dangerous for airplanes. With my feet firmly planted on the ground, I think it is an amazing sight.


1 comment:

Grandpa Luigi said...

El Misti is an amazing sight, great pictures! Flying around a Volcano is dangerous,never mind the cloud! Glad your Mom had a good visit, you all look great! Don't know when I will be able to make the trip, a lot of things up in the air right now. Tesoro laid me off end of July. Company acquired by Tetra Tech and taking business in a different direction. I see the lay off as a blessing. Started business again "L J Sarratt LLC" Construction Services. Supervision/Q.C./Safety or just pounding nails. Pennies are tight right now, but hopefully after new years I can plan a trip when you guys are settled in Pucallpa. Just know that I love you all and I miss you muchly! Love Ya.....Grandpa Luigi