Monday, September 07, 2009

Change

Life has changed for us once again. We are enter a new and final season of our time here in Arequipa. Christian is continuing full-time at the language institute and the kids and I are at home. The kids said their good-byes to their friends and teachers at Colegio Rey de Reyes about a week ago. I also said good-bye to friends and teachers at the institute . . . not officially yet - but it is strange to not see them everyday.
Christian's Spanish gets better and better all the time and it is exciting to see the change in comprehension and communication levels for everyone in the family. I have been told that I speak Spanish with an Italian accent. I have been told the same about my French. Hopefully that would mean the little Italian I do know would be spot on. The kids know and understand a lot more than they let on and the younger ones are having trouble remembering English vowel sounds.
I am home schooling the kids until we get to Pucallpa. I have to say I feel like I have been given a gift to have them all at home again. The last 5 months at school have been very good for all of them but there are some aspects of Peruvian education we are trying to unlearn (ie. WHAT you write on the paper in far more important than the COLOR pen with which you write.) But, everyone is falling back into a good routine. Pray for them as they only finished half of last years grade and need to get up to speed for this year. They are all anxiously awaiting our departure for Pucallpa and attending SAM Academy. We plan to leave Arequipa in early November and be well settled by Thanksgiving.
A month ago, Christian attended a church planting conference with a few men from Mil Palmeras church. Apparently there is quite a group waiting for our arrival in the jungle now. It is nice to know that God is creating a place for us over there.

No comments: