Thursday, January 15, 2009

Taxi Trouble

I wish you could all be here to experience some of the crazy things we are doing. We just went to see the man who will help us get our resident visas. The office had piles of passports and paperwork everywhere. It was a bit scary to watch as people came in looking for their papers and the man dug through drawers and piles looking for them. We are learning that nothing ever goes as planned and a quoted price means nothing. We ended up paying twice as much for the papers and leaving our passports (C and A) and the kid's legalized birth certificates. I am so glad God is so much bigger than the government of any country.

We went with Adela, she is the house help. She is very sweet and speaks no English - the man at the visa office spoke no English . . . it was interesting. We all piled in a taxi to get there - kids in back hatch-grown ups in seats. Well, on the way home we stopped a taxi drver with a sation wagon purposing to return the same way. He said the kids couldn't get in back so we quick piled in the back seat, all 7 of us. We did it fast and the kids aren't so little anymore . . . we were squished. We couldn´t move at all. Seriously, there was zero movement. I made it two blocks before I started to freak out. I have never had a panic attack or any such thing, so I don't know what happened to me. I couldn't breathe and the thought of riding for 10 minutes like that was too much. I started shouting, "No puedo! No puedo!" I can´t, I can´t. Christian thought I was kidding but eventually we stopped and reloaded a little better - I was fine but that was scary. Next time we will take our time and get in the cab well.

1 comment:

Tim Murray said...

I've had far too many crowded taxi experiences, but I'd say 7 in the back seat tops them all (although I have been in a VW bug with 8 people and only 1 was a child).

I say fight the system and take 2 taxis. I know that people will say you can squeeze in 1, but stand your ground!

When I arrived I worked hard to learn how to give directions to the guest house and carried a map when necessary. Good Luck!