Friday, January 16, 2009

INTERPOL

Well, we went to INTERPOL this morning. They are the ones who put the warning at the beginning of all the DVD's warning you not to pirate them. It actually went quite smoothly. It was a challenge to find a taxi. i guess no one wanted to drive and hour across town. Once there we had our mug shots taken, several sets of finger prints made, and had our mouths examined so they could map our fillings. Loads of fun. We got our passports back, which was very nice and were told that we should get our visas when we come back through in March. (We have to go to Pucallpa for the field conference in March.) At that time we can begin the paper work for the kids. It really couldn't have gone better.
Tomorrow we are going to visit fellow SAMers up in Puerto Supe. We are taking a 2.5 hour bus ride. It should be interesting. I have finished REpacking our boxes. I made the 6 boxes into 5 because we are going to have them shipped by bus to Arequipa. I took out all the valuable things and put them in the carry-ons. I will be very glad to unpack once and for all when we get to our house in Arequipa.
As I sit here and type I am wondering if I shouldn't have been more careful about eating local produce. You really shouldn't eat salad and things that you haven't properly washed - but while out we've all eaten a few tomatoes and some lettuce. My stomach isn't so happy right now. Everyone else is fine (thankfully). The kids are all outside playing crazy jumping games. We are waiting to go out and get some dinner - pollo a la brasa. (That is Peruvian fast food).
I have to admit it is a bit frustrating not being able to speak Spanish . . but not as much a you might think. We are getting along pretty well for our few semesters. I am really looking forward to learning and speaking well. The kids are already picking up a few things. I hope we learn half as fast as them.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Rose said...

Hi Listros--

Have read your blog with great interest. You seen to have everything under control.

This is such a great adventure for you and the children. Looking forward to your next posting.

Love you all and God bless

Aunt Elizabeth