Sunday, March 22, 2009

Robbed

We went out to buy some MORE school books yesterday afternoon . . . .after a long and serious talk between Christian and I about how hard things are here, how useless we feel unable to speak the language, how all the changes and stresses of the past 4 years have taken a HUGE toll on our family, yet we are committed to what ever God has for us . . .his best doesn't always come in the package we want to see . . . . So we talk to the kids about some issues happening in our family. Christian and I repent of our own selfishness and anger and then we get ready and head out the door. when we left it was light out. We were gone for about 4 hours. We walked all over the city to find the book stores we needed, we went out for dinner (did I mention most of the city, including our house, was out of water all day which was one of the main reasons we went out . . . no water= no flushing, handwashing, clean dishes, or cooking) so we ate out and then decided to have a treat somewhere because the afternoon was going great . . different than how it has been for a while. We ran to the pharmacy to get vitamin C and then to the grocery store to get yogurt for breakfast. we caught a taxi home and when we got there Christian opened the big wooden door in our front wall (can only be opened w/a key, no latch on the outside) our front and back doors were open, the backdoor was open and all the lights were on.
The kids and I immediately went to Scott and Meghan's and the taxidriver called the police. (we are using their computer to post this.) Christian and Scott went into the house and our computers were gone, the bedrooms ransacked, otherdoors kicked in and broken. Our cash was gone, they took our propane tank, and tried to take the T.V. It looks like they were spoked away because they didn't take the mp3 players from Gabe's room and they didn't get the cable disconnected. All of my jewlery is gone. Stuff I saved from high school, stuff my Gram gave me, my mom's wedding rings, the piece glass from C's first car that I unknowing had carried around for years before I met him (some of you know that story) anyway . . stuff that is meaningless to others but the only stuff I have saved through all of our moves. Our computers were important but they are replaceable, the photos on the computer and on the camera are not replaceable. Christian's backpack is gone too - they probably took it to carry the computers and will have found out later that our camera and my mp3 player were in there.
They pushed in our gatedoor (how w/o being seen baffles me) then they climbed in the den window (at least two of them, one had to lift the other) then they opend the kitchen door, took the computers, someone went out back and kick in a door - -there was nothing out there to find, someone ransacked our room, papers and underwear everywhere. they found the cash but left credit cards, banking info and didn't find the passports - amazing. They attempted to find things in the kids rooms but gave up fast. I'm sure they were dissappointed by our entertainment center that was full of books and card games. Some how they missed the playstation and our CD's.

Christian and I have to go home and clean up the house while the kids go to church w/Scott and Meghan. We don't want them to see their stuff like that, and there are 36 hours of dirty dishes I haven't had water to wash and our landlord could come from Lima anytime today.

God challenged me long ago about my faith - if he were to take something from me, even a child, would I still bless his name . . .I really struggled witht that question. Can I? Should I? I resolved that night 3 years ago that I would. I can trust that God loves me and my family more than I ever could or will. I CAN TRUST HIM. But I can be sad too. We were reading and thinking about Job this morning . . .Job I am not. God thought highly of him and blessed him even more after all his loss, but you can't tell me Job didn't have a huge pain in his heart from the loss he suffered. I thought that last week was the hardest yet. . . but it got harder. Christian is handling all of this amazingly well. If you knew him years ago when his GSX-R was stolen you would be amazed at how God has strengthened him. I am a wreck - I am sad - I find my self wondering what is next. I know that to know the Lord in all his Glory I must also know him in his suffering - but as I said last night -" knowing the suffering sucks" I trust my God, he will bring us through, but knowing him doen't mean a perfect life - it means peace in the turmoil, it means hope when hope makes no sense, it means having a God you can cast all your care, angst, anger, and fear upon.
we are thankful that it wasn't worse and that no one was hurt, but we are also reminded that personal safety is not guarnteed, nothing is for sure except for our creator. God is just as good and in control as he was yesterday morning. The Lord gives and takes away and we will choose to bless his name.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

God bless you, Listros.

Tim Murray said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. We love you guys and will be praying for you. I don't know how but I know that God will carry you through this.

mamakate said...

I am just at a loss for words. My heart is aching and sad because I can't physically be there with you. Your honesty in all of this is actually encouraging. Yes, we have faith and KNOW that God is the author of all things in our lives...but when our backs are up against the wall, how will we respond? I know that you will get through this and it will make you stronger. I was reminded this morning that there is a purpose in all of this - when you'll understand it, only God knows. But he will bless you through it all. All our prayers, thoughts and love are with you. Please touch base when you can.

trevfreeze said...

wow, so scary...

we're praying for you and miss you.

- beth

Anonymous said...

Well put, Amy. God IS good!

I grieve with you in this loss. May God strengthen you even more! Love you!

Brian Wagener said...

Hey guys... Well I wish I was better with words and had some Eloquent peace of wisdom and strength to offer, All i can do is pray. Amy you are correct God is good even when we cant see it. I think thats when He does his best work, when we don't understand why the stuff that happens to us does. Trust Him, fear no one, stand and know He has got your family in his hands. Love you guys...

Ginny said...

I was so sad to read of your home being broken into. Your message was one of pain and hope. Know that we are thinking of you and love you. Thank God no one was hurt. So trust in the Lord to keep you safe but please be careful in all that you do. Property can be replaced but you guys can't. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Tyler & Brenda said...

I am so sorry to hear that your house was broken into. That happened to us last year here in Lima.
My name is Brenda, my husband and I and our three daughters live in Lima, working with Kids Alive International. I came across your blog when I was researching Pucallpa and found a blog by one of the teachers who works at SAM Academy. Our mission is looking at setting up a children's home there and we are considering going there.

I certainly can understand many of the feelings you have expressed, because I have been there. It is a huge adjustment for a family. We have only been here a little more than a year and a half. We did our language training in Guatemala.

You will be surprised at how quickly the language will come when you are out and using it to talk with people. Most Peruvians are pretty nice about helping when you are not sure of a verb or the right conjegation. When people know that you are just learning, they are willing to slow down a bit so that you can understand better. From my experience, Peruvians who live outside of Lima, tend to talk slower to start with.

I hope that you and your family start to feel at home soon. If you need anything or just want ot chat sometime, please feel free to email me.

Blessings,
Brenda

http://fosscrewinperu2.blogspot.com

The Kenaston Family said...

Listros,
I want you to know that in your pain you offer encouragement to us. We are just starting our walk with SAM and we have been following your journey. We have done short terms in Peru, in Lima and Pucallpa, and know of the dangers, BUT have not had to experience them. We know as we will soon be in your shoes that we will have to come to terms with a different level of Trusting the Lord in such a place. Praise God for his provision of you and the peace he provides in the storm. I am so sorry that this happened to you, and yet as we are learning on our journey - God grows us through the tought stuff, and when you decided to serve as missionaries it is like you sign up for extreme training. Don't give up. Someday, if God sees fit, we will be serving with you and we look forward to it!
Stephanie Kenaston
kenaston.missionsplace.com