Friday, January 23, 2009

Tid Bits

As we were landing in Arequipa Tuesday I pointed out El Misti to the kids and told them it was an active volcano. Gavin's first question is, "Are we going to die?" I quickly explained that the volcano was sleeping and we had nothing to worry about. A few seconds later he looks at me and says,
"We're going to die here? I hope it doesn't happen (volcanic eruption) because we'll all die and that will be the end of our mission . . but we'll be in heaven so that's O.K."
Boy that kids keeps us laughing and on our toes. Today he went to hail a taxi for me w/o permission. No fear . . .
Classes start on Monday for Christian and me. The kids are all registered for school, too. I will be going to school 1/2 time until March when the kids will be in school all day. I will then go the full 4 hours while they are at school. Until then We will continue to home school in the mornings while Christian is in class and then I will go in the afternoon. The kids will have to wear uniforms to school. All the kids wear white shirts, gray pants or skirt. and a green sweater. Gabe get to wear a green Blazer and a tie instead of the sweater. I am looking forward to seeing this.
I wish you could all be here and see, smell, and experience everything with us. I will do my best to share all that with you.

Here is a short list of things that make life here different and interesting:
I do the laundry on the roof.
I look at a volcano when I do laundry.
Toilet paper goes in the trash can.
Paper napkins are single ply.
Cold water only to wash clothes and dishes.
We have cable T.V. - first time ever.
The meat counter at El Super was self serve.
We live 8,000 ft up and the air is thin.

View of El Misti from our roof.

No comments: